Sunday, June 19, 2011

When You're Helping You're Happy

Jacob is a pro at cleaning the house.  It really is one of his talents.
Although he dislikes sweeping and mopping the kitchen floor. 
At the beginning of each summer I come up with big plans, something I want each of the kids to work on to keep busy besides swimming and watching TV.
Usually it has to do with some kind of educational goals.  I always make it way to complicated.  And I am terrible at enforcing it and it fizzles after a few weeks.
This year I decided to simplify it.
Besides our scheduled activities, reading, and fun, I wanted 2 things to happen.
1.  Taylor to practice his keyboarding skills daily because he will need them in 7th grade.
2.  Everyone do more house work.

I am happy to say we have stuck to it.
I am so proud at how well the kids are helping around the house.  
I can be gone for a few hours and tell them what to do and it gets done.
They have even been doing it happily, or maybe that is why I leave so I don't have to hear any complaining.
They have all been learning new skills and becoming more independent.
This has been the best summer so far with keeping the house in order and I am so grateful for all of their help and how they have been working together.

The other day I had to take Joshua to some appointments.
To keep the kids busy, I had them make strawberry jam together because we were almost out.
They did it without complaining and even cleaned up the mess.
Summer was a gem to head the activity since she has made it before, and told everyone what needed to get done. 
Taylor, Jacob, and Kate were great about following her instructions.
Except for a few moments, they really are having fun together this summer, and I am loving being able to spend more time with my children.
There is nothing better than when at the end of the day during  family prayer one of the kids prays and expresses gratitude to their Heavenly Father-
"Thanks that we were able to have fun together today."

And yes Taylor has been working on his keyboarding, M-Th 30 minutes a day.



1 comment:

  1. Way to go, Christin!!!! I'm impressed with everything your kids are doing....especially the jam making. Glad you're having such a good summer.

    ReplyDelete