Saturday, June 4, 2011

The Gift of Snuggling

Today was a good day.
We went to Kate's swim meet.
Did a little housework, but not to much.
The kids watched 10 episodes of Phineas and Ferb on Netflix.
Taylor and Jacob went swimming with Noah.
Summer, Kate, and I ate yummy Bahama Buck shaved ice and enjoyed a lovely matinee of the ballet Thumbelina.
Joshua  not so happy today.  Lots of time out.
I thought my little girl time would refresh me and help me to be a better mom.
But by dinner time I was tired of his yelling and the time outs and I hadn't even been around for most of it.
I was a bit down while eating my pizza, thinking maybe Joshua would like summer camp and be happier in the wilderness for 3 months.
But then I received another treasured moment.
I was just about to put  fresh sheets on my bed, listening to Taylor Swift, and Joshua climbed on the bed.
"Do you want me to wrap you up in the sheet?"
"Yes.  Make a bow," he says.
I did.  And then I just wrapped my arms around that boy, and he let me.
And we snuggled for a long time and he even let me sing.
And then I was crying because I remembered moments like these from the past and my sweet little boy is letting me hold him again and there is absolutely no yelling occuring and I'm not at my wits end.
And then Kate joins us, wrapping her arms around me and her brother because that is what Kate does.
Always showing her love.
And then comes Summer.
And we are singing and snuggling.
And then we are laughing and dancing.
And Summer wraps Joshua up like a mummy and lifts him up in her arms because that is the kind of sister she is, strong and full of charity. 
And it's one of those heaven like moments, where time doesn't exist and you are consumed with the joy of what really matters.
There is no yelling the rest of the night (except when Andy throws Joshua in his bed).
Only a calm voice with some stimming in the background.
And the day ends happily with giggling and an all boy pillow fight after family prayer.
And that one simple moment, makes every other moment of the day seem perfectly worth it.
And I am completely filled with peace and love, grateful for today.
It really was a good day.



No comments:

Post a Comment