Thursday, May 26, 2011

April-Grandpa Gaisford's funeral

Whenever I think of Grandpa Gaisfords funeral, I just get a big smile on my face.
The whole event lasted the weekend.
It was a big family reunion which is exactly how Grandpa and Grandma would want it to be.
All of my cousins were there, except Geoff who lives in Denmark.
Some of these lovely people I hadn't seen in years, but are still near and dear to my heart.
(Funeral on Saturday.)
Jennifer, Michelle, Claire, and Christin
These lovely ladies are some of my favorites.  We have made many memories together.  One of our favorites was when Michelle, Jennifer, and I flew to Baltimore to visit Karen and Claire.  I was 13 at the time. My aunt Kay took us to all the historical sites.  It was a trip I will always remember.   I was able to spend lots of time with Michelle and Jennifer during my growing up years since we all grew up in Phoenix.  And Claire and I have always been close, especially since we both ended up at BYU.

(Burial on Monday)

Elizabeth, Gordon, Steve, and Hal
My mom has 3 older brothers.  They all spoke at the funeral and share so many memories and life lessons.  My grandpa served in the military during WWII and was buried in the veterans cemetery in Phoenix.  The ceremony was very touching.

 After the burial everyone who was able to went to one of Grandma and Grandpa Gaisfords favorite mexican restaurant, Jordan's.  I remember going there as a child many times.  Some times we would go there to celebrate the end of the school year or our good grades.  The food was delicious!  Afterwards we drove by grandma and grandpa's old home in phoenix.  It is still yellow and so beautiful.  I spent much of my childhood at that beautiful house on Myrtle.

(Swimming on Saturday and Monday)
Of course some kind of party has to be happening when you get together with the Gaisfords.  We spent some time at the pool at Val Vista Lakes.  The kids had a blast.
Celebrating Grandma and Grandpa Gaisfords life and spending time with one another as a family is exactly the kind of funeral grandpa would have wanted.

No comments:

Post a Comment