Monday, March 7, 2011

Girls New Room

I have been super busy with other projects, that I have failed to blog.  Plus our computer kept dying and now after its 9 lives we finally got a new computer.  Lots happened in February, but now my camera battery is dead and I can't upload the Feb. pictures on it because I lost the charger on my trip to Cancun.
So  Feb is coming soon.
I failed to show all of Summer's hard work (with a little help from me).
She decided to redecorate her room during November and December.
Most of the projects weren't completed until just before Christmas.
(Note to self:  Never do a home deco project during the Christmas season or you will be shopping on Christmas Eve.)
I turned out beautifully!
It is Summer's mixture of old fashion with a little bit of modern flair.
The girl still wishes she could have been a pioneer.
I think it is the cheeriest room in the house.
And Kate is excited to have a real bed and have her own pink desk.
We got this daybed off of craigslist.  It was brown and I spent a gazillion hours sanding it and then a few hours painting it white.  Summer chose the bedding at IKEA. She made a little rag doll in young women's that sits in between the pillows.  We painted a gold mirror red.
Kate's bed is magically stored under Summer's.  It gives them more space during the day and helps Kate keep her room clean because there is no space for her bed at night if there are toys on the floor.
This is a dresser that was at my mom's house.  It use to be her brother's.  I sanded the 4 coats of old white paint and then Summer painted it a bright white.  The knobs are from Anthropologie, paintings from Great-Grandma Gaisford, tray from Goodwill, vase and flowers from my room.
The knobs are one of our favorite touches in the room.  They are so cute and were worth the money and all of that sanding.
I found this brown bookcase from Goodwill for $15.  Summer painted it these pretty colors.  She loves the quote and we love the red bird on top.
Another Goodwill find for $7.  It was a gold framed painting.  We spray painted it white and covered the painting with chalkboard paint.
This is Kate's corner.  I'm keeping it real.  The girl is a hoader.  It's usually a little more organized, but many days it looks like this. Everything was bought at goodwill, except the desk was IKEA clearance, and then painted.  I made the picture frame into a bulletin board. We are just glad Kate can have a messy corner, instead of a messy room.

We also organized the closet with a cubicle shelf for all of Kate's toys and put sheer curtains up to hide the ugly blinds.  Summer also painted a side table a light sage green where she keeps more books and her alarm. I am sad we couldn't paint the walls, but I'm over it, and just focus on all the other beautiful pieces.

Summer did an amazing job and it was fun to work together and use our creativity.  She pulled everything together nicely.  It is just how she wanted it and I'm so glad she likes her room so much.

Her only rule-"Don't touch the bed."

3 comments:

  1. What a great room!!!!! I love the bedding, the dresser knobs and the cute bookcase! I think we need to go thrift store shopping together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that is an amazing room. Every picture I kept saying I was in love with something, the bedding, those knobs!, the bookcase, the chalkboard. Love it. Nick is a serious hoarder too, I think it is genetic - it drives me crazy. Summer did a great job and all your goodwill finds are awesome!
    Juliet

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a great job!! It must make Summer feel great to create her own space!!

    ReplyDelete