Monday, January 10, 2011

My Mita

Juliette Veronique Amelie Peney Cardon
My dear sweet Mita passed away in the early morning of January 4th 2011 at almost 97 years old.
She was the most amazing woman, mother, and grandmother and I feel so blessed that she was mine.
She was unique and no one else I knew had a mita besides me and my family.
I loved that she was from Switzerland, I loved her French accent, and I loved her lipstick kisses on my cheeks.
I love that I got to grow up with her and that I have so many memories.  I wrote pages about her in my journal the day I found out about her death.  Most of my memories were so simple.  I just loved her simple house, the simple delicious food she fed us like bread and jam, and mostly the love she abundantly showed me. No one greets or says goodbye to a loved one better than Mita.  Even towards the end of her life she was filled with so much gratitude for the simplest act.  I feel so grateful to have been able to live close to her over the last year and a half and to visit her often.  My last visit with her was so peaceful and full of love, and one I shall always cherish.  Although the last year and a half our  visits were not filled with much conversation, she continued to teach me much.  I will always remember the soft touch of her hand and cheeks, her smile, and the effort she took to say thank you for visiting, even though her body was so tired she could rarely keep her eyes open.  She is an inspiration to me of enduring to the end and doing it well.  I will miss her, but it brings me great joy to know that she is in her heavenly home experiencing much peace and happiness and I'm sure surrounded by a million loved ones, because she knew and loved more people than I can ever imagine.  I feel blessed to be included in that circle.

I must say that I loved her funeral.  My kids were nervous.  It was the first one they attended.  They loved hearing about Mita's life and I loved remembering. It was fun to spend time with uncle, aunts, and cousins. There was a lot of loudness and laughter. You could say the Cardons are a tight family.  My Mita helped make that so. It was a fun weekend to rejoice the life my mita and  papa lived and to once again be reminded at how blessed I was and am to have such amazing family.

1 comment:

  1. Christin, I loved all the new posts...especially Mita's! What a wonderful tribute to an extraordinary woman. (written by an extraordinary woman, I might add!)

    ReplyDelete