Friday, April 8, 2011

Grandpa Gaisford

Last night Harold Rawson Gaisford passed on to the other side peacefully in his sleep.  
He was the most amazing grandfather!
I was so blessed to be able to live so close to him while I was growing up.
He had such a sense of humor and gave the best hugs.
So many memories.....
All his hard work at the insurance office, the yard, and in the house.  The yard always looked beautiful and he was always fixing or painting something.  Whenever I am painting furniture, I think of him.  He was always so helpful to grandma. He was always working on something, except for when he was watching golf occasionally on Saturdays.  I would try so hard to watch it with him, but thought it was way too boring.  It's not so bad now.  Plus who can forget the plaid knickers he wore.
Grandpa was always dressed handsomely.
Little things like trident gum, freshly squeezed grapefruit juice, and peanut m&ms will always remind me of my childhood and grandpa.
I loved eating lunch at grandma and grandpa's house because grandpa would always come home and we would eath lunch while watching The Dick Van Dyke Show and The Andy Griffith Show.  He would always excuse himself and take a nap on  his office floor before going back to work.  Maybe that is how he stayed so energized.
His corny jokes and goofy faces.
His love of music.  He was an amazing singer and lead a congregation beautifully with his silver baton.  The Mormon Tabernacle Choir and elevator music always remind me of grandpa.
He was always so vibrant, healthy, and positive.
His voice on the phone-"Well, hello Christin."  He's always has said it the same way.
He and Grandma always supported me in all that I did, even coming to my college graduation at BYU
I was so grateful to be able to move back  AZ and make some more memories with Grandpa.  It was a joy to spend so much time again with him like when I was younger.  I was grateful to make more memories with him.
Wendy's chicken nuggets and sprite; watching tv land, including the Andy Griffith show, his smile, singing to me, a kiss on the cheek, his gratitude, sense of humor, more peanut m&ms, convincing me to drink ensure, blue oxford shirt, still always making me smile.
He always made the best out of life and continued to teach me through his example even until the end of his life.
I am going to miss him greatly, but I am so grateful to know that he is in his heavenly home reunited with my grandma and free from all that he had to endure in the end.  
His smile and all the memories will be with me always until we meet again.
I look forward to that really big hug.


2 comments:

  1. I am so sorry Christin. I remember you telling me about your grandparents and I was always so amazed that they were still alive. Now it seems like they are leaving you in such a short time. I'm glad you are home in AZ so that you can be by your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christin, I'm so sorry for you and your family. He was a great man! I have so many memories of him too...especially conducting at their ward. Love to you and your family and thanks for the beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete